Monday, November 29, 2010

Post-Graduation


I forgot yet again to update my life and this time its been almost 6 months. I don't plan to write about everything, but can hopefully touch on the main topics. After my last blog, I went on a scooter trip with some friends to the east coast (Taidong/Donghe). We rented scooters because I wanted to enjoy the ride and my old ORY didn't seem to have enough to go through the next few things. We had a 6.5hr (160km/100mi) to Taidong where Clark had one funny scooter crash going through the mountains as we (Marcin and I) told him not to try to race us as he was not as skilled as we were. Well the racing Clark tried to pass us with two large buses in front of us and a few cars and failed to see the pavement that was destroyed and left with dry rutted-out mud tracks. So Clark crashed and rolled over, but was fortunately left with a scraped knee and some jitters. Did that slow Clark down? NO!!! he continued to drive fast the rest of the trip. To drive back from the east coast we decided to go the long way which went through the central crossing (highest rd in Taiwan) and back around to the west cost. We drove 361miles 15hrs (all in one day).

Just before the trip I had my Final defense on July 4th which was an amazing amount of weight off my shoulders. I had to make a few revisions which I extended my thesis one semester to keep my student ARC and stay longer in Taiwan to study Chinese and be with Nina. It was finally August 3rd, they day I flew back to the US. My good friend Marcin took me the the Kaohsiung airport where we had a crazy cab driver with red lips due to the massive amounts of Bin-Lan he had been chewing. It was sad to say good bye to such a good friend, but I know we will meet again soon. (Europe trip summer 2011)

Finally back home my outlaw driving daddy (he was pulled over on the way to get me because he was driving down a blocked off highway for miles following construction trucks). Luckily he did not get in trouble they were all on time to pick me up. My mom with tears in her eyes and my brothers with smiles on there faces.

Back home, I tried to get as much hard work and errands finished before Nina was coming so I did not go out to much except to a couple Hopper's games and a trip to Raleigh to visit some old ASU classmates. I was good to see my family and friends again and catch up on some stories and all the hometown same ol same ol stuff. The hard reality of losing my Nanny just before xmas last year set in when I went to visit her house and saw all the changes and no smiling face looking back at me from her old chair. On a lighter note, Travis through me a big welcome home party with "The worlds fastest slip-n-slide". It was a great turnout and everyone seem to have a great time. Even my mama got loaded enough slide down the slide. I guess she still knows how to have fun after all :) Also a special thanks to Randy C. for DJing the party just like old times.

It was finally time for Nina to come visit. She had all the information I could think possibly fit into a 3-4pg note of step by step instructions on where to go, what to look for, etc.. I went to Raleigh to pick her up and met with Adrianna and Michelle to go to the airport. I had bought some flowers and made a welcome sign and waited at the baggage claim for her to come down the escalator. BAMMM!!! there she was with her beautiful smile on her face. Not sure if she really knows how proud I am of her for making the trip alone especially since it was her first "flights" ever. We rested at Audreys place for a bit and let Nina shower before going out to dinner and meeting with Garrett and his g/f Nicole. I was right. The Culture shock was there and everything was as wierd to her as things were for me on my first trip to Taiwan.

Finally back home, my parents were waiting in the driveway to finally meet the girl who stole there baby's heart. Tahoe, Roxy, and Maggie had to say hello first and then my parents welcomed her with a big hug. Nina quickly fell in love with Tahoe and later told me that she didn't think Roxy liked her (which is not true, Roxy loves Nina, but loves attention more)I gave her the full tour of the house and land, drove out the feed the cows and ride the tractors. Showed her how I cut trees and how a country boy can survive. She loves the American style houses and hopes to one day have one with a yard and porch she can sit on ;) We tried most of the fast food places and she loved the Arby's french dip even though I told her that its not really good and she needs to try a real fresh one someday.

We traveled to Charlotte to see a Kings of Leon concert with my old ASU roommie Evan and his g/f. Nina liked the music, but was not feeling well to really enjoy the atmosphere at the concert. We stayed the night at Evan's home and went to the lake the next morning in South Carolina (Nina's first lake trip). I happened to rain, but we still had fun and got a few wakeboarding runs in before driving back the High rock lake to meet up with Randy and my parents would come the next day. Randy and I cooked her a fresh sausage gravy biscuit and egg breakfast at the same time as Randy taught Nina a few dance moves. It was a beautiful day at the lake with the family which ended with a big Cheeseburger and homemade ice cream cookout.

The next trip was to visit ASU and show Nina where I went to school and also was able to speak to a few business classes on my experience in Taiwan encouraging students to study abroad. My old professor Dr. Chen (who is Taiwanese) invited Nina and I over for dinner with his family which allowed Nina to speak Chinese learn a little about how life can be for Taiwanese people in the US.

We then made our trip up north to Pennsylvania to visit my cousins and New York to visit my good friend Vu who is now working Downtown Wall st. for M Lynch. Vu was as nice as he could possibly be was a great host. Our visit fell on the same dates as the UN assembly meeting which Vu lives right across the street, so there was plenty of cops, secret service, undercover, FBI etc... patrolling the whole area.

Just as our NY trip was ending I got a call from my mom telling me our cousin Cris Malseed had passed away after fighting cancer for more than 5 years. We took a bus to D.C. to meet with Brant and his g/f Samantha who just got back from Italy and stayed the night before Brant left me drive his car home the next day. Nina's skin had also gotten infected so I was able to take her to an urgent care center back home and they gave her some antibiotics. She felt 100 times better the next morning and my parents and I left at 5am to drive to South Carolina for the service. It was sad to lose such a great person, but I am happy I was able to be home and make it to spend time with the family and let Nina meet some other cousins of mine. Unfortunately Allie was sleeping so Nina and I did not get to play with her, but Ella was happy to get the extra attention and of course looked as cute as ever.

It was once again sad to leave home, but the memories made this trip will last forever. Back in Taiwan it took some getting used to again. The majority of my closest friends had moved back to their countries and I no longer felt like a part of the IMBA family. Once I got signed up for my Chinese classes and started working, I created a good schedule that lightened my mood and put me back at peace.

I finally finished up my revisions for my thesis and completed the "leaving campus" procedure. I will get my diploma after the end of the semester around Jan. 20th. I have been trying to spend as much time with Nina as I can and do as many things together as possible since I am moving back home February 5th 2011.

November 2nd 2010 was another sad day for me and my family. My aunt Leslie Miller passed away who was also fighting cancer for a couple years. I wanted to be home with my family more than anything, but since I had just got back to Taiwan and am coming home in February, it was too costly to fly back and forth and miss class and work. I am very happy that I was able to see her again while I was home and she had the chance to finally meet Nina who I have been writing about these past two years. Leslie told me she always enjoyed reading my blogs and I hate I did not write them more often. She will always hold a special place in my heart and will always been remembered. Since I have been in Taiwan these past two years I have lost 4 family members. It has not been easy being away, and hope everyone cherishes the time you spend with each other and lets go of any unnecessary drama smothering the strength of our relationships.

Almost done with this blog.... It was finally Thanksgiving time again and my roommates and I hosted another big party. We bought a big TG dinner from a restaurant like the two years before and made lots of extras. I made mashed potatoes and cooked a ham in my crock-pot. Both were finished before the end of the night ;) We had a great turnout of friends and once again a great diverse TG.

Now my final months in Taiwan (for the time being) are coming to an end. I just finished my last soccer tournament where we placed 3rd (had a team which could have won it) but I am happy I scored a goal the first day with a header which won the game for our team at the last few minutes. I injured my knee a bit so I think its best to rest it for awhile and get ready to snowboard when I get home. I am finishing up my last days of Chinese class, but will probably find another tutor to keep practicing until I go home. I will have a lot of packing to do and things to ship home, so I am sure things will only keep getting busier and busier.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and will have a Merry Xmas. Thanks again for reading my blog.

Luv Always,

Logan

No comments: