Sunday, June 13, 2010

Graduation and Finishing up the THESIS!!!



Well the semester is winding down and the sadness of leaving friends after being together for 2 years is starting to set in. Since the last Blog, I had a soccer tournament with my Tainan Phoenix team where we placed 2nd out of 12 teams and really hoped to be repeat Champions from last years tourny. It was a long hard fought match against a Nigerian team, which seemed to have the energy and speed in the second half to take home the Championship. I was sadly unable to finish with 4 good shots that were all on target and somehow could not find the back of the net.

My thesis has been a pain as I said it would be, I originally had to collect 280 questionnaires from Taiwanese respondents who have experience working in project teams. As there is a large language barrier, I had to depend on local Taiwanese friends to help pass around my questionnaire to their companies they worked for and other friends until I had to hit the streets on my own. The weather is hotter than anyone wants to be in not to mention the humidity is suffocating. So one can imagine that dressing up with business dress pants, long sleeve shirt and tie was not a comfortable outfit. So being dressed up and riding off on my scooter to companies hoping they had someone to speak english and willing to help pass around my questionnaire. The long process of asking people to fill out questionnaires (we all hate filling out questionnaires, but its worse having to ask people over and over to do it) got even better when quick rain storms would come up so the wonderful humid scooter ride, just got a little wetter. After having a lunch with my Advisor and some classmates, I found out I really only needed 180 questionnaires since I am doing 2 EFA's (exploratory factor analysis) and I only need to use the one with the most attributes instead of combining them when determining the number of respondents (# of attributes X 5) This was crucial as I was already running behind on my schedule so I was able to finish up collecting 208 usable questionnaires and start my data analysis. Because I did not take the class on learning how to use SPSS data analysis software program I ended up paying my co-advisor to run my data and create my tables where I then filled in the names and wrote my analysis on. Chapter 4 and 5 consisted of more than one 5am night in the research room, but was finally able to finish where I am now waiting on feedback from my Advisor and most likely have to make revisions before I can print off get ready for my Final Defense on July 4th (my own personal independence day from my thesis).

Its has been a struggle getting the school work done for this semester since I think everyone has had a birthday everyday or weekend the past two months which its rude turn down a celebration so the late nights don't make it easier to wake up, but a nice cold beer is relaxing when sitting with close friends. I think I have mentioned the place "Chicken Hill Academy" which is the oldest local bar in Tainan owned and run by two brothers ( I think the older brother owns and runs while the younger one drinks the whole time, but both are in their 60's or 70's I think) It's a great relaxing place with comfortable couches and good music from classical piano to local Taiwanese favorites. But the best thing by far about the place is the free "Dogan" which is a tofu dish boiled in soy sauce and sesame oil and served with sliced spring onions on top. The old man brings plate after plate even after we all said we are full and can not eat anymore, another one would come out (which we ate). Nina's bday was April 29th and she finally turned 21 which will be a good thing when she comes to the states this summer even though she doesn't drink. At least she can get into bars and not have to worry. I got a big group of friends to meet up at a bar owned by a guy I play soccer with. The pizza was great and the drinks were perfect, everyone seemed to have a good time, but I do need to teach Nina how to take a shot which was probably the funniest thing I have seen in a long time and we have a small video of it haha. She tried her best and I helped her finish the complimentary shots from the owner. We have been trying to make some short day trips spend some more time together, but our busy schedules and my thesis always seem to get in the way. We did make a quick 20min trip to the beach for a cloudy sunset which overall was a great date.

So moving forward in time, We (Nina and I) were able to get our plane flights booked to fly to the States this summer. I am coming Aug 3 and Nina is coming Sept 5th a day after finishing her 2 month summer internship at Chi Mei Hospital in Tainan County. I am not sure who is more excited between us b/c I can't wait for my family to meet her and I know she can't wait to see where I grew up and experience the same huge culture shock I felt when I came to Taiwan ;) (not the same childhoods) It is going to be Nina's first time on a plane and leaving Taiwan so this is a big experience for her. I am trying to prepare her with things to know and how to get around the airports and what to pack.

We just had our Graduation ceremony last weekend June 6th and had our Farewell dinner the night before at the same hotel as last years Shang ri La. It was a delicious dinner and we had a good party afterwards with a big group of seniors and some Juniors. I was asked to give a brief speech for the graduation ceremony so the night before I just tried to write something from the heart that I didn't feel I would forget on stage and I might as well post it here below so everyone back home can get a chance to read it:

Good Afternoon everyone, it’s a pleasure to be here today. When I graduated two years ago from undergrad, I never thought I would literally be living on the other side of the world, driving scooters everyday to class, drinking Lu Cha ban tang xiao bing, and falling in love with the most beautiful woman Hsu Chia-Chien. These past two years have been the greatest adventure and most valuable experience of my life. I created a family of friends from all over the world with a bond that I feel could never be broken. I think every international student can view Taiwan as their second home and hope we can all try to give back and show the same kindness and respect as everyone has shown to us. I wish everyone the best of luck and health in the future. Thank you all very much!

So my journey continues here and I am trying to make every opportunity to spend with my friends happen because thats what it is really all about, the friendships and relationships. I know it may seem like its been 2 years for my family and friends back home that I have been away from, but the 2 years flew by just like my 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of high school and so on. Life is definitely not slowing down so its important to focus on the important things and strengthen any relationships we may have before we leave each other. The internet has done amazing things and allowed me to keep in touch with multiple friends and family, but in the end a sincere hand written letter/card means more than any number of emails or facebook posts once could send.

Thanks again for reading my blogs and I look forward to reading through all of them again sometime in the future. I will be working on my final defense and group presentation as well as making any last trips around Taiwan with my friends before we all go back to our own countries.

Love Always,

Logan

No comments: