Monday, January 24, 2011

Last Two Weeks in Taiwan (for now)


Four months have already come and gone, and I am down to my last 2 weeks. Xmas and New Years were a lot of fun. For Xmas, we had a group of about 16 people drive down to Kaohsiung and ride go-karts and play paintball. After that, we drove into the city and watched the new TRON in 3D at the IMax. The movie was great, but it was a chilly drive back to Tainan (took about an hour)

For New Years, Nina and I took a trip to Taipei to visit Kyle who had came back to Taiwan from Australia for the Holidays. We took the 3:30am bus to get there around 8am. We got to rest for a while and then had lunch with Kyle and went to the Flora Expo. The flowers were beautiful and there were lots of them. Later that night we had dinner with Kyle's mom, dad, and grandma which was nice to sit down with a family and enjoy a good meal. For New Years night, we went to the Grand Hotel where his friend Lara (a pop start singer in Taiwan) rented a suite on the 6th floor with an amazing view of the fireworks to come. It was Taiwan's 100 year anniversary since the Qing Dynasty ended in 1911 so the year here is considered to be the year 100. Making me born in the year 75 :). That being said, the FIREWORKS were larger than previous years and we had one of the best seats in the area. Everyone at the party was really nice and it was a great way to end 2010.

So now in January, its my last month of teaching which I am looking forward to. Teaching kindies can be fun, but its time to put my degree to use. On a day off from work, I rented a 150cc motorcycle and took Nina to see Monkey Mountain. An hour drive each way. We got to feed them bananas and peanuts. One of them even tried to steal our motorcycle. haha It took a few minutes to get him off the bike. After monkey mountain, we drove to Anping to see the tree house (the old Dutch house where a tree literally grew inside it). It was a great getaway day until I was called into work at 4:30 to fill in for a teacher :(

The soccer guys had a testimonial game for me and another guy Jose who are leaving. It was nice for all the guys to get together and show how much that care. I will definitely miss playing with everyone.

Today, January 24 I got my diploma. This really made it set in that I only have 2 weeks before I am going home and need to make sure I get everyone sold and packed. Tomorrow Nina and I leave for Alishan. A beautiful mountain getaway with a famous sunrise view of a "sea of clouds". We are staying in Zen Zen (Kyle's g/f) grandparents hotel. They reserved us a top of the line room for 1 night for about $100. We leave tomorrow early to take a train to Chayi and then a bus to Alishan. There are talks of even seeing a little bit of snow. Hope we have enough warm clothes to and looking forward the the heated blankets at the hotel and some fresh mountain air.

Chinese New Year is Feb 2nd and 3rd this year, so I will join Nina's family for dinner and learning more about what they do for their big holiday. Hope there will be some more snow when I get home, but unfortunately I am missing the next UFC fight and the Superbowl on my flight home :( hopefully someone will record them for me even though I'm not a fan or either team. See everyone back home soon.

Luv Always,

Logan

No comments: