Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ford trip/3 midterms/2 group presentations/Thanksgiving and Taipei


Ok, so from the title of this blog, you can see that I have been really busy the past 3 weeks. 11/7 our MOM class took a trip to the Ford Motor Co. in Taiyuan. We had to meet our group at 6am at the Kuang Fu Gate across from the Country Club and was told not to be late and yet we did not leave until 6:30am b/c the teachers were not on time nor the majority of the group so I could have had another 30mins sleep which did not matter because the 3hr bus ride was perfect for it. At the Ford Co. We started with the Upper Management introducing themselves then started our plant tour to the assembly line and the Engine manufacturing. It’s absolutely stunning how precise the assembly line is. They manufacture I think 5 different cars(I did not take notes) that are all mixed in together throughout the line up (meaning, they do not just make the focus car one day and the ford escape another day) Their software program is great. It has every part from the bolts to the exact doors to come in at the perfect time the car gets to the specific spot on the assembly line. It’s easier to explain if you are looking at it. haha. Anyways the plant was very clean and professional with the workers working hard (no slackers). They fed us lunch in their cafe on site for all their workers and then we headed back to the conference room for the managers presentations. It was a long day at the Ford plant and we said our good byes and headed back to Tainan. They happen to stop for dinner about 45 mins off our course home and it was a place with more interesting foods. I ate pig fat, some kind of intestines, a whole fish cooked in front of us with scales in all on it, some chicken, a mini squid or maybe it was a crawdad thing which was really good, and of course we had rice. I did not enjoy too much of the food so I was still very hungry by the time we arrived back at school.

So I have had 3 midterms which ended up being 1 each week for the past three weeks. I hated my BDM midterm which consisted of 5 Statistical questions which was poorly written out and took me 3 hours to complete. I got a 74, but should have done much better, but the teacher said anything over a 60 you’re in good shape, I just have to do well on my group project in the class and I can probably have an A in the class or a high B. So my second exam was IT PM which was open book and I feel I depended too much on the book and not my own personal knowledge which caused me to second guess everything and ended up with an 88. My 3rd midterm was in MIS and I will find out this coming Wednesday what I scored. In the past 3 weeks I had two group presentations in my IT PM class which I am glad to have gotten over with and the group project is on schedule.

Thanksgiving was just around the corner and I could not wait to eat all the bad memories of studying for hours over the past 3 midterms, but soon realized I did not have any plans nor heard of anyone planning a Thanksgiving dinner party. It was last Wednesday before thanksgiving when I was studying for my MIS midterm that was later that day at 6:30pm. My friend Kyle Webb from Texas who is American/Taiwanese helped me plan our last minute TG party where we had found a restaurant which prepared a full TG meal (16-20lb turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, and they couldn’t leave out the green tea) all for just 3000NT or $100US. After I got off work Thursday at 12N Kyle took me to "AJ's Burgers" to try for the first time and I had a double bacon/cheese burger and fries that was actually really good and the closest thing to a burger from home. I was really tired from not having much sleep the past couple nights from studying so after the big burger, I went back to the room to grab a nap and also a movie before I met back up with Kyle at the track to run off the burger and get ready for the huge meal we had planned at 8pm. I went back to shower before I met back up with Kyle to pick up the turkey and after I left the track with my bag and Kyle continued to run a couple more, Kyle called and said someone had stolen his bag which had his wallet and cell phone in it. So a bad beginning to a great night and Kyle is calm person and was able to keep it from ruining his night even though he had to make a lot of calls to cancel his credit cards and all the other information. We had a later start than we planned, but we got to the restaurant to pick up the Turkey that I was so surprised to see as it lay in a nice big basket. After we picked up the food we had to find some more plates and forks and a few drinks. We got lucky and found place that was closing its doors, but allowed us to buy some paper plates at the last minute. It’s great that Kyle speaks Chinese or else this Thanksgiving dinner would not have been possible for me to plan and put together alone. It was hard to resist not jumping into the back seat and eating everything b/c the smell was amazing. We got back and Kyle got his perfect parking spot and everything was set up in his apt when we realized we had forgot the "GRAVY" and you cannot eat turkey, mash potatoes, or stuffing without gravy. So I had to make a bunch of calls to ask for 30 more mines while we drove all the way back across town to get the big bag of gravy we sadly forgot the first time.

Well our friends started showing up and we were all starving so I had the privilege to cut the turkey and it was just a great experience to finally share a part of my culture with all my friends. At the party we had friends from Pakistan, Italy, Estonia, Taiwan, Canada, US (me), and I think the Philippines. We had about 16 show up total so we were able to split the price at only 200NT a person or $6. To top off the night one of my favorite movies "The Count of Monte Cristo" was on TV :). My friends all came together and gave me a great thanksgiving dinner while I shall remember forever as my first Thanksgiving away from home.

It was even better when I was able to Skype my family at home around 1:30am my time to see all of them before they had their big thanksgiving feast. Saturday morning I was also able to wake up early and Skype home again to talk to my Maryland cousins and my gramma. It really put a huge smile on my face to see everyone and talk to them as they came in town to visit the family and gramma "90th" Birthday. Happy bday gramma or Sheng ri Kuai le in Chinese :)and sorry to wake up my roommate Clark when I had to call them at 9:30am here, I couldn’t pass up the chance to talk to everyone.

So Toni and I left for Taipei Saturday on the 1:50pm bus and I was able to watch a couple movies and get a good nap on the 4 1/2hr bus ride. We arrived at the Taipei Main Station where I stayed just around the corner may 2007 in Hotel Flowers with my Study abroad trip with ASU. It was great to go back and have the quick memories and even more amazing that I was able to find my way to my favorite restaurant which was a few blocks away and delicious. I am really glad I did not get Toni and I lost as I tried to recall my steps from over a year ago. Sander and Maria also made the trip to Taipei and we were able to meet up with them before Toni and I went to our hostel to luckily get the last room available and it was only 500NT a night or $15US. We had a fun time that night and got back to the hostel at 5am to sleep a few hours and catch a bus back home to Tainan at 1:40pm. It’s fun to just get up and go somewhere for a quick weekend and I recommend my friends and family back home to just get up and go on a quick trip to get away and just have fun.

I finally made it home and looking ready for a movie and bed. I love all you here and back home and I am always praying for all my family and friends’ health and safety.

Love yall,

Logan

No comments: